Thick and Hearty Firehouse Chili
Fall is arriving and I love this time of year. It is the time for gorgeous leaves, cooler weather and a big bowl of Firehouse Chili. There is nothing better than to serve your family chili on a cold fall day. It is comfort food that makes you feel good.
Firehouse Chili Recipe – soooooo delicious!! So simple to make and it tastes great! All you need is some cornbread and dinner is done!
If you need to feed a crowd this recipe will fill up everyone in your house.
Every kitchen needs a collection of delicious chili and soup recipes for the cooler months! Firehouse Chili is very thick and is a very hearty stick to your ribs meal.
- Ground Beef
- Kidney Beans
- Tomato juice
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Ro-Tel tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
I love that it is a simple recipe with ingredients you probably have at home. Your family will love a nice hot bowl of chili with cornbread on a cold fall or wintery day.
WHAT TOPPINGS ARE GOOD WITH THIS?
If you happen to have leftovers (which we never do) here are some ways to use the chili…..
Nachos (Your family will love this)
When I worked at the schools we always had cinnamon rolls with our chili. It pairs together really good. I remember those big cinnamon rolls with frosting dripping off of them. I love the good old days.
Scroll down and let’s make some….
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 8 ounce cans Ro-Tel tomatoes undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto or dark red kidney beans undrained
- 5 1/2 ounces tomato juice
- Heat oil in a large pot. Brown together ground beef, onion and garlic; drain well.
- Add all the spices along with the Ro-tel tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans and tomato juice. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 1/2 hour uncovered and 1-1/2 hours covered. (If too thick you can add additional tomato juice or water).
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Adapted from Taste Of Home.