Erma Kauer’s Hamburger Buns
Today I am sharing a recipe for Homemade Hamburger Buns from my mom's best friend Erma Kaur. She is another AMAZING COOK! I wish I had more recipes from her.You will find that these soft hamburger buns are so easy to make, and they taste amazing. This recipe does make a lot and works perfectly for big family gatherings.You will love that you can make these burger buns without a stand mixer. The simple dough comes together easily in a large bowl.The ideal burger bun is soft, and tender. You can replace some of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour to increase the fiber in these homemade hamburger buns.How do you toast hamburger buns like a restaurant?Gently toast in a 350°F oven until buns are warmed through and lightly crispy, about 5 minutes. To keep the buns from getting too crunchy or hard after toasting, place them in a nice basket with a towel over them.These buns freeze beautifully up to 2 months, then remove the buns from the freezer and thaw on the counter.These hearty homemade sandwich rolls will become a staple for your family! There is nothing like homemade bread coming from the oven! Let's head over to my kitchen and make some…
- 3 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar or honey
- 6 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 5 cups white flour
- 5 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl combine the warm water and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey, oil, and egg. Beat until smooth.
- Add 2 cups of flour. Beat until smooth.Add salt and remaining flour until you get a kneadable dough.
- Cover dough and let it rest for 10 minutes. Roll the dough out until it is a little thicker than 1/3 inch. Using a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or cookie cutter cut the dough into rounds.
- Place the round on a greased cookie sheet. Then top each of the rounds with another of the rounds. Place buns on a greased cookie sheet.
- Slice with a serrated knife.