My Mother-In-Law’s Townhouse Cheese Soup
My mother-in-law was a fabulous cook. She use to make Wedding Cakes that were amazing! Dish up a bowl of her Town House Cheese Soup for chilly winter nights. This soup is great for this time of year. Warm, cheesy and very filling. Serve it in a bread bowl and wait for the WOWS!!
- 4 small carrots, cut into 1 inch matchsticks
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 1 inch matchsticks
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 can whole tomatoes, undrained, chopped
- 10 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- salt to tast, heated
- 1 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Melt butter in a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until transparent but not brown.
- Add flour, blend well and cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring continuously; do not brown.
- Slowly stir 3 cups hot chicken stock into flour mixture and cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Blend in cheese and stir until until cheese melts.
- Add tomatoes and undrained vegetables.
- Season with pepper, nutmeg, and salt.
- Just before serving, stir in hot cream. Dish up in a bread bowl and garnish with popcorn or chopped parsley.