Homemade Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
Are you ready for Winter with piles of snow and cold cold weather? I grew up where some winters were at 40 below zero! What kind of comfort food do you fix in the winter? We love soups and casseroles and loaves of warm bread.
I remember coming home and my mother was taking homemade bread out of the oven and she had a big pot of soup cooking on the stove. She would make all kinds of cookies and raisin-filled were my favorite.
We are suppose to have a blizzard today so I am looking for a recipe to make with food I have in my kitchen to make for dinner. I have some leftover chicken and this Homemade Chicken Spaghetti Casserole is filling and always makes my family ask for seconds. They will be excited to see this on the table!
Casseroles are the ultimate comfort food. It reminds me of growing up at home and holds lots of memories. As you get older and married you bring all that food into your own families. Comfort food makes us happy.
Chicken Spaghetti Casserole is so easy to put together. Within 30 minutes you have a dinner that your family is going to love.
We like to serve a green salad and some warm french bread with this meal. A fruit cup or cobbler would be good.
Super delicious, comforting, and perfect for feeding your family any day of the week.
- cooked chicken shredded
- Green bell pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Chicken broth
- Light cream
- Parmesan cheese shredded
- Cheddar cheese shredded (any kind you like)
- Salt and Pepper
- Diced tomatoes drained ( like Rotel)
If you want to add more color to your casserole add a cup of frozen peas or mixed vegetables to the mix.
A FEW RECIPE TIPS….
- Use any color of bell peppers.
- Any shredded cheese that your family works great.
- Cook the pasta for 2 – 3 minutes less than the package directions say to. You will want the noodles nice and firm so they will not get mushy in the casserole with the other liquids.
- Store leftovers of this chicken casserole in a an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 5 days. To reheat just put into a 350F oven for about 15 -20 minutes.
This recipe makes a yummy dinner for cold winter nights. It will be a big hit at the supper table.
Time to get your apron on and let me show you how to make this Chicken Spaghetti Casserole…..
- 8 ounces cooked spaghetti
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- salt and pepper
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes drained or tomatoes with chilis, like Rotel
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook spaghetti al dente. Drain well.
- Cook onion, garlic, and bell pepper in butter until tender. Add flour and seasonings. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in broth and cream a little bit at a time until smooth. Cook until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat, add Parmesan cheese and half the cheddar cheese. Mix until smooth and melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine spaghetti, chicken, cream sauce, and canned tomatoes. Mix well. Spread in a greased 9×13 dish.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bake 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Adapted from Spend With Pennies.