Classic School Hamburger Gravy Recipe
Remember School Hamburger Gravy? It is an all American Classic Recipe that all school kids loved! Even kids that did not normally eat at the cafeteria, ate school lunch the day this was on the menu. I loved cooking at the elementary schools and I remember serving it over mashed potatoes with a helping of green beans, a roll and fruit.
This recipe has been passed down for many generations. It is a hearty meal and inexpensive way to feed your family. We like to serve it over rice, or mashed potatoes. This is a comfort dish that will become an easy and delicious mouthwatering meal. Those classic recipes from your relatives are simply sooooo good!!
Hamburger Gravy is a supper dish which has been pleasing families and their budgets for many years and still does today.
Hamburger gravy is made with ingredients you likely already have in your fridge and pantry. As you start to brown the meat and add the onions and garlic to cook, your mouth will be watering.
INGREDIENTS FOR GROUND BEEF GRAVY…..
- Ground Beef
- Onion powder
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Beef Boullion
- Half and Half
- Beef Broth
- Salt & Pepper
If you are like me sometimes I forget to take the ground beef out of the freezer. ( I have done this so many times.)
Don’t worry you can add a little water to your frying pan and your ground beef straight from the freezer .
Cover the pan with a lid and turn the frozen ground beef often and cut it into smaller pieces as it thaws. Don’t worry you can still get supper done on time.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER GRAVY….
Hamburger gravy can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about 4 days, or you can freeze it for 5-6 months.
This American classic is the perfect comfort food to make after a long day at work or running the kids around and it only takes 30 minutes.
Scroll down and for the recipe and lets get cooking….
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp Worchestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsps flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp beef Better Than Boullion
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Cook ground beef and onions in large fry pan over medium heat. Drain oil and return to pan.
- Add the onions halfway through and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Then Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and flour. Stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add the beef broth stirring as you do, then add the half and half followed by the beef bouillon. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. As it starts to boil it will get thicker.
- Adapted from The Cozy Cook.