Traditional Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Forget the canned stuff! Let me show you how to make your own all your Mexican-inspired dishes.INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED…..Vegetable oilChili seasoning or taco seasoningGarlic powderOnion powderCuminOreganoSmoked paprikaSugarAll-purpose flourChicken brothTomato sauceKosher saltIf you want it spicy choose a chili or taco seasoning blend, which is a combination of different spices, instead of just plain chili powder.I like chicken broth, but you can also substitute vegetable broth or waterThis will be your favorite homemade Enchilada Sauce – believe me you'll never use canned again!Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- Place the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to combine.
- Add the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, sugar and salt to the pan.
- Cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Slowly whisk in a little of the chicken broth at a time until you have a smooth mixture. Add the tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the sauce has just thickened. Use immediately or cool and store in the refrigerator or freezer for later use.
- Adapted from Dinner At The Zoo.
You can make enchilada sauce ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze it for later use (up to 3 months).