Mom’s Pumpkin Chiffon Pie Recipe
MOM’S PUMPKIN CHIFFON PIE RECIPE
If you are looking for a simple pie recipe for Thanksgiving you just found it!!. This Pumpkin Chiffon Pie recipe has been in my family for generations. It came from a really old Betty Crocker Cookbook my mother had. When I was taking care of my mother, (she did not cook anymore,) and I surprised her with a pie. She said she almost ate the whole pie that night. Pumpkin Chiffon Pie is a Thanksgiving tradition and so much better than traditional pumpkin pie and incredibly delicious!Chiffon pies came to be in the 1920’s and got their name because of the light, airy filling.Chiffon pie filling is made by folding meringue (stiffly beaten egg whites and sugar) into a flavored pie filling that is thickened with unflavored gelatin. For your Thanksgiving this year make this pie, you and your guests are going to love it. A couple more wonderful pumpkin recipes…..Pumpkin Bars With Cream Cheese Frosting..via Sugar ApronPumpkin Dump Cake…..via My Country TableHOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN CHIFFON PIE
- 1 pkg gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups mashed pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 cup milk
- Dissolve the gelatin in water in a little bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine the pumpkin and sugar.
- Beat together the egg yolks, and add to the pumpkin mixture. Add the spices and whisk to blend.
- When the pumpkin mixture is hot turn the heat down and add the gelatin stir and let it cook for a couple of minutes. Turn off the heat.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg whites into the pumpkin mixture. Then I let it sit on the stove for another couple of minutes.
- Pour the filling into prepared pie crust and refrigerate until set.
- Refrigerate until set, then top with whipped cream.