Mom’s Layered Christmas Gelatin Salad
This Christmas Jello Salad recipe has been in my family for years. It has always been a tasty treat every holiday. My mom would make it every Christmas, and I have carried on that tradition in my own family. It looks like Christmas and best of all it tastes really good, it is just not any jello salad!
Most of us are familiar with the sweet food called jello. Jello is really not very healthy for you BUT it does have a few health benefits. Christmas Gelatin Salad is so colorful and festive you will want to serve it every Christmas.
Yes this jello salad takes a a little bit of time since you have to make three layers, and each layer has to set up before adding the next layer. But it is so worth it because it is gorgeous after you cut into it. You can make it while you are wrapping those Christmas gifts, and getting your last minute preparations for finished the holidays.
After the dish is done, you’ll want to cover it. Plastic wrap will droop down and stick to the top layer. Foil is so much sturdier and isn’t as likely to stick.
Jello Was Invented in the 19th Century
Parent company Kraft Heinz shared a few key dates that predated Jell-O’s history but were important to its development. These include 1845, when Peter Cooper, inventor of the renowned locomotive “Tom Thumb,” obtained the first patent for a gelatin dessert.
In 1895, Pearle B. Wait, a cough syrup maker in LeRoy, New York, decided to enter the packaged-food business. Finally, Wait adapted Cooper’s 1845 patent for a gelatin dessert, which would become Jell-O. Wait’s wife, May Davis Wait, coined the name Jell-O, which started production in 1897.
YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING INGREDIENTS…
- lime jello
- strawberry jello
- lemon jello
- boiling water
- cold water
- crushed pineapple drained
- whipping cream
- cream cheese softened
Jello is a fun and delicious treat that is well-loved by kids and adults. I usually make some flavor every Sunday when my kids and grandkids come for dinner. They always gobble it up.
This colorful delicious layered Jello salad recipe is perfect for holiday entertaining. It is easy to make so scroll down for the recipe and let’s make some Layered Christmas Jello. I know your family will make it a tradition.
- 1 pkg lime jello
- 2 pkgs strawberry jello
- 1 pkg lemon jello
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large can crushed pineapple drained (save the juice)
- 2 cups marshmallows
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- Dissolve lime jello in 1 cup hot water. Add 1 cup pineapple juice (from drained pineapple – if there is not enough juice, add hot water to equal 1 cup). Pour into clear 9 x 13 glass dish. Refrigerate until set.
- Dissolve lemon jello in 1 3/4 cup hot water. Stir in 2 cups marshmallows and mix to dissolve marshmallows (can carefully use whisk). Let cool. In a separate bowl, whip 1 cup of cream and store in the refrigerator until needed. In another bowl, gently mix cream cheese. Slowly mix in the marshmallow mixture with a mixer on low until well blended. Fold in the whipped cream. Add as much of the drained pineapple as you like. Mix. Layer on top of the set lime jello and return to the refrigerator so this layer can set.
- Dissolve 2 boxes of strawberry jello in 2 cups of hot water. Add 1 1/2 cups of cold water. Slowly pour over set lemon layer. Refrigerate until set.
- Cut into squares and serve. So delicious!