Let’s Make Neighborhood Bean Soup
Do you have a ham bone leftover from the holidays? Then lets make Neighborhood Bean Soup. It is another one of those comfort foods you have to make in the winter months.
This is one of my favorite cold weather soups because it sticks to your ribs and warms you from the inside.
This Neighborhood Bean Soup is made with ham, white beans, and seasonings and has so much flavor and is so delicious.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS SOUP….
Beans…we use dried Great Northern beans. Also, anytime you’re cooking beans, salt when the beans are done cooking. If you add salt in the beginning the beans will be tough.
1 meaty ham bone
Chicken broth...If you have not tried Better Than Bullion Chicken Base you need to! Use it just like the granules.
Vegetables….celery, carrots, and onion.
Seasonings…fresh or dried thyme, dried marjoram, sage, savory, and ground black pepper. The chicken bullion has lots of salt in it so add extra salt as needed.
WHAT DO YOU SERVE WITH NEIGHBORHOOD BEAN SOUP……
We like French Bread or Savory Cornbread. This makes a satisfying meal that you will make at least once a week in the winter months. It is an easy, all-time family favorite soup recipe that I make often.
IS BEAN SOUP GOOD FOR YOU?……
Absolutely, bean soup can be a fantastic addition to your daily diet, but like everything, it should be consumed in moderation and as part of a balanced diet. Rich in Fiber: Beans are a stellar source of dietary fiber, which aids in digestion and helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
If you want to use the Slow Cooker method just combine all ingredients in a large slow cooker and cook overnight on low for about 12 hours or until beans are very soft.
Always allow this soup to cool completely and package in freezer containers. A little trick to not have freezer burn, fill your container clear to the top, pop the lid on and put in your freezer.
This Bean Soup will keep in the freezer for at least 2 months.
To reheat, allow the soup to thaw in the fridge overnight. You can reheat individual servings in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until heated through.
This is the BEST Neighborhood Bean Soup Recipe, grab your apron and lets get cooking!
- 2 cups dried great northern beans
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 2-3 tbsps chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/4 dried savory
- 2 chopped onions
- 3 chopped carrots
- 3 chopped celery ribs
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Rinse beans with cold water and put them a Dutch Oven. Add water to cover beans by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let soak for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, and discard liquid. Return beans to pan; add broth, 3 cups water, ham bone, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions, carrots and celery in oil until tender; add to soup. Cover and simmer 45-60 minutes longer or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham bone; cool slightly. Skim fat from soup. Remove meat from bone and cut into chunks; return to soup.
- Adapted from Taste Of Home.