January 29, 2023
An Old Recipe…No-Bake Preacher Cookies
Preacher Cookies are a favorite at our house. I have made many batches through the years. They are a yummy treat and so so easy to whip up and you do not need your oven. You will love how theses cookies melt in your mouth!! They’re the perfect blend of peanut butter, oatmeal and chocolate. Wonder why do they call them preacher cookies?"According to legend," "the reason they are called Preacher Cookies is because years ago when preachers made a practice of calling on members of their congregation at home (usually unexpectedly) the cookies were a treat that the ladies could prepare quickly with ingredients that they most always had in the cupboardYou only need the FOLLOWING INGREDIENTS…quick-cooking oatmealsugarunsalted buttersaltmilkcreamy peanut buttervanilla extractmilk chocolate chipsbutter.You can even change up the flavor in two ways…Chocolate..add 1/4 cup with the sugar, butter, salt and milk.Use brown sugar instead of white sugar and you’ll have a Caramel No Bake cookie.You probably have everything you need on hand to make these right in your pantry now.Let's make some…..
- 3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 stick butter , unsalted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (I would double this)
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp 1 tablespoon butter
- Pour oatmeal into a large bowl and set aside. Roll out some wax paper onto your counter.
- In a medium pot, add sugar, butter, salt and milk and turn heat up to medium-high.
- Stir well as butter melts and bring the mixture to boil. Allow to boil for one minute then remove from heat.
- Then add in vanilla extract and peanut butter and stir until smooth.
- Pour warm mixture over oatmeal.
- Stir well.
- Then drop about a tablespoonful on wax paper. Continue until you've used all the batter.
- Gently smash down the cookies with your fingers.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add in chocolate chips and butter.
- Microwave in 20-second intervals (stirring after each time) until chocolate is melted.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over cookies.
- Allow the cookies to cool. (If they aren’t setting up as quickly, pop the tray in the refrigerator for a couple of minutes.)
- Recipe adapted from The Country Cook